Bible Study - The Fruit of The Holy Spirit
When you put your trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you are given the Holy Spirit. There is only one Spirit, but there are 9 attributes of Him that are evident in a believer’s life. The Holy Spirit will work in our lives continually to conform us into the image of Christ. Throughout our walk of faith He will continue to help us mature and produce the fruit of the Spirit. Our Christian walk of faith is a continuous battle between our new nature and our old nature. We must walk by the Spirit daily and allow the Spirit to work in our lives.
1. We are born of the Spirit: (John 3:5).
2. We Receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).
3. We Live/Walk by the Spirit:“ (Galatians 5:25 ;John 6:63).
4. We Worship in Spirit Philippians 3:3; John 4:24).
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT
There is a difference between the fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the spirit. IT IS THE FRUIT SINGULAR AND NOT PLURAL as the attributes all emanate from one Spirit. These attributes are proofs of the presence of the Spirit of God in our lives. They manifest in our character.
Gifts of the Spirit help us to function in our ministries, they are given to us to empower us in our walk with God 1 Corinthians 12
1. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
(discuss the order of the fruit focus on the first…why is the order important?)
2. Ephesians 5:8-9 For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light, for the fruit that the light produces consists of every form of goodness, righteousness, and truth.
3. Matthew 7:16-17 Ye shall know them by their fruits.
4. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
5. Romans 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
6. Philippians 1:6 I am convinced of this, that the one who began a good action among you will bring it to completion by the Day of the Messiah Jesus.
3. Matthew 7:16-17 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Scriptures for further studies John 15 &16 Luke 6, Acts 2
Romans 5:5 ; John 13:34 ; Colossians 3:14 ; Romans 13:10 - ;Ephesians 4:1-3 ;1 John 4:7; Colossians 3:14
(Scriptures for further studies: Deut 6; Mathew 22, 1 Cor 13)
2. JOY - 1 Thessalonians 1:6 ; Luke 10:21 Hebrews 1:9; Romans 14:17; Acts 13:52 ; Acts 16:25; 1 Thessalonians 1:6; 1 Peter 4:13-14
(Scriptures for further studies: Phil 4; Luke 15, John 15 &16)
3. PEACE- Matthew 5:9; Hebrews 12:14
(Scriptures for further studies: Romans 5; Ephesians 2; Mathew 11)
4. PATIENCE- Romans 8:25 ; 1 Corinthians 13:4
(Scriptures for further studies Exodus 34; Romans 15; James 1)
5. KINDNESS -Colossians 3:12; Ephesians 4:32
(Scriptures for further studies 2 Samuel 9, Mathew 5 &11)
6. GOODNESS - Galatians 6:10
Scriptures for further studies Mark 10, Romans 3&7
7. FAITHFULNESS- Deuteronomy 28:1 ;19. Proverbs 28:20 ; Proverbs 3:3-4 ; Psalm 31:23 .
(Scriptures for further studies Mathew 25, John 16)
Titus 3:1-2; Ephesians 4:2-3 ; Philippians 4:5; Colossians 3:12; . Proverbs 15:1; Colossians 4:5-6; Proverbs 16:24; Titus 3:2 ; 1 Peter 3:15 ; Proverbs 15:1 ; Psalm 18:35 ; 2 Timothy 2:24-26 ; James 3:17
Scriptures for further studies Mathew 11, Ephesians 4 1 Peter 3
9. SELF CONTROL- Titus 1:8 ; Proverbs 25:28
(Scriptures for further studies (1 Corinthians 9 & 10, Colossians 3, Romans 5